Monday, March 28, 2011

Hot Tubbing with Strange Men

This last week we decided we would change things up a bit and try going to the gym Mon /Wed /Fri so we could get 3 days in.  Monday, I worked on weight machines and totally kicked my butt.  It's been a while since I have done any of that stuff and boy did I feel it.

Going on Tuesday and Thursday, my mom in law and I have taken for granted that no body else is there in the mornings and we pretty much have the pool, hot tub and sauna to ourselves.  This wasn't the case on Wednesday.  There was a guy already swimming in the two lane pool and so mom changed and went to work out, and I had to swim since I was wearing my bathing suit under my sweats.

Swimming with a stranger in that little two lane endless lap pool was awkward to say the least, and not nearly as fun as swimming with my MIL.  I mean, I'm not a terrific swimmer, and swimming in endless lap pool is swimming against a current ranging from 500 to 1200 psi (depending on where I set it), and so when I say I am going "drowning" I'm not really joking.  And swimming next to someone who actually looks like they know what they are doing made me all the more self conscious.  Finally the guy got out and I was able to swim in peace.  Then, a very tattooed man came out and got in the hot tub.

My very favorite piece of gym equipment at Pavitt's is the hot tub.  I look forward to my 10 minutes of total relaxation in the hot tub every day I go swimming.  There is nothing better.  Except when I have to share it with strangers... especially, scary, tattoo covered, men.  Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against people with tattoos... I have one, my husband has one... but...well,  people that are literally covered in them... well, they kinda scare me.  And the kind of tattoos this guy had... well, they were kinda gang -ish.  Add to that my being EXTREMELY self conscious to begin with and (Hello!  325 lbs in a swim suit - yikes!!), well... it made that huge -probably could seat 8 people comfortably- hot tub, seem REALLY small.  I made an ice breaker comment that he chuckled at and then closed my eyes and tried to pretend I was there by myself.  He was perfectly nice, and every time I opened my eyes to look at the clock he was looking down and away, so I shouldn't have been bothered, but it was still weird.  Sitting in a Jacuzzi is something I have only ever done with friends and family so that was just strange...I know!  I know!  What should I expect in a public place, but we've been spoiled the last few months with having the place to ourselves.

I still would rather NOT hot tub with strangers.

Needless to say we didn't go on Friday.  My kids didn't sleep that night so I had no desire to get up at 5 and neither did my MIL, thank goodness.  So, we still haven't made it to the gym 3 times in one week.  It shouldn't be so hard, and I am determined to make it 3 times a week in April.  I think I can!  I think I can!

Weigh in tonight was okay.  I have lost 4 lbs... so I'm finally back down to where I was before I gained that previous two weigh ins.  This week my goal is to eat more zero point foods (fruits and veggies) and I am going to up my water intake since it's been dwindling.

2 comments:

Richardson Family said...

I am with you - I would definitely prefer to NOT hot tub with strangers. You are braver than I, though! I would have just left and not even gone in the hot tub! :)

Great job this week -- 4lbs is excellent! Of course, I think that you do an excellent job each week - regardless of what the weigh in is. You are amazing!

Keep up the hard work! :)

Dirtius Wifius said...

I actually went and bought a swimming suit last week. I was determined to swim/relax on my tiny vacation and I forgot mine at home. It was terrible, but worth the horror. The best part was that we didn't have to share the hot tub.

Also, ups and downs are your body's way of adjusting. This is good. It's progress.